What is Biofeedback Therapy?
Biofeedback Therapy is a type of therapy that can help you gain more control over your body. It is used to help prevent or treat conditions such as Anxiety, Stress, negative emotions, Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depressive Disorders and much more.
The idea behind biofeedback is that, by harnessing the power of your mind and becoming aware of what’s going on inside your body, you can gain more control over your mental, emotional, and physical health.
What is a Typical Biofeedback Therapy Session Like?
Each biofeedback therapy session lasts about 20 minutes. Usually, you can start to see biofeedback benefits within 10 sessions or less. Some conditions, such as Anxiety, can take 20 or more sessions to improve.
A biofeedback technician helps you practice relaxation exercises, which you fine-tune to control different body functions. For example, you might use a relaxation technique to turn down the brainwaves that activate when you have a headache.
Several different relaxation exercises are used in biofeedback therapy, including:
- Deep breathing
- Progressive muscle relaxation — alternately tightening and then relaxing different muscle groups
- Guided imagery — concentrating on a specific image (such as the color and texture of an orange) to focus your mind and make you feel more relaxed
- Mindfulness meditation — focusing your thoughts and letting go of negative emotions.
What are the Benefits of Biofeedback Therapy?
Biofeedback helps to treat and prevent:
- Anxiety – Anxiety relief is one of the most common uses of biofeedback. Biofeedback lets you become more aware of your body’s responses when you’re stressed and anxious. Then you can learn how to control those responses.
- Headaches – Headaches are one of the best-studied biofeedback uses. Muscle tension and stress can trigger migraines and other types of headaches, and can make headache symptoms worse. There is good evidence that biofeedback therapy can relax muscles and ease stress to reduce both the frequency and severity of headaches. Biofeedback seems to be especially beneficial for headaches when it’s combined with medications.
Other Biofeedback uses include:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
- Reactive Attached Disorder (RAD)